Driving Licence in Delhi
Taking your bike on the road for the first time is an amazing and free feeling. Apart from having a skill, you also need your own driving licence to drive freely on road. The government of India is very strict about its rule to allow driving only with a driving licence. Only this makes the driver a legal driver.
In the past few years, due to an increase in the number of fatal accidents most of the time caused by individuals without a driving licence, the Government of Delhi has managed to issue strict punishments for unlicensed individuals driving illegally. The unlicensed driver, in case of a mishap, cannot claim insurance. So, take help from this guide in getting a driving licence for yourself. Remember the Sarathi of a motor vehicle must abide by the law before his vehicles abide by his instructions.
Different Types of Driving Licences in India?
There are actually different types of driving licence in India. Generally, according to the category of the vehicles, the licences are issued. The licences are as follows.
- Motorcycle without Gear
Mopeds and scooters fall in this category.
- Motorcycle with Gear
All motor vehicles having gears are considered in this category.
- Light Motor Vehicle
Hatchbacks, sedans are considered in this category.
- Transport Vehicle
This category includes Trucks, buses, etc.
- Invalid Carriage
- Road Roller
- Motor Vehicles with specified descriptions
What is the Eligibility Criteria To Avail Driving Licence in Delhi?
To avail a driving licence and become a law-abiding Sarathi, one should have the following eligibility criteria.
- The age of the applicant will have to be 18 or beyond
- He must possess learner’s licence
- He must apply for DL after procuring learner’s licence, not before 30 days and after 180 days from the date it was issued.
- He must be aware of traffic rules.
How to Apply for Driving Licence in Delhi?
Those who are willing to have a driving licence in Delhi has to apply to the Delhi RTO. The application can be done online or offline. The steps are as follows
- Fill up the Form 4
- Give a driving test
- Pass the test
- Collect the Licence
Procedure to Apply for Driving Licence in Delhi?
The detailed procedure to get the driving licence is as follows.
- Fill Up the Form
This step can be done online. The candidate has to visit the transport website of Delhi government. Fill the form and provide documents. Alternatively, the candidate has to visit the Delhi RTO office and fill-up the form 4.
- Book a Time Slot
Then the candidate has to book a time slot for a physical driving test. And the candidate has to appear in the Delhi RTO office as per the slot timings.
- Give the Driving Test
The prospective Sarathi has to visit the RTO with his own vehicle and attend the test. An inspector will decide the success of the test. For two-wheelers: Figure 8 test and Straight T and
- Submit Biometrics and Photos
If the Sarathi passes the test, his biometrics and photos will be taken.
- Delivery of DL
Then the driving licence will be delivered by post to the registered address.
What Are the Documents Required to Apply for Driving Licence in Delhi?
The documents that will be required are given below.
- Form no.4 i.e. the driving licence application form
- Passport size photographs
- Application fee of Rs. 400
- Driving certificate form-5, 14 and 15, for transport vehicles
- Address Proof: Anyone among the below-given documents
3.Certified copy of the Voters’ List
5.LIC Policy bond of 6 months old along with a photocopy of the latest receipt
- Age Proof: Anyone among the below-given documents
3.Attested photocopy of the passport
4.Certificate issued by the employer in case of working individuals under the state or central government or the local body
- How to apply for learning driving licence?
The documents that will be required for applying to get a learner’s licence
- Address proof
- Age proof
- Knowledge of traffic rules
- Medical certificate
- Form 1A
- Form 4
- Application fees
- How to renew the driving licence in Delhi?
After the permanent Driving licence is issued, it remains valid for 20 years or up to the age of 50, whichever happens, earlier. To renew a driving licence, a Sarathi has to approach the nearby local zonal office.
Documents required for renewing the driving licence in Delhi
- Application form 9
- 2 copies passport size photos
- Original driving licence
- Self-attested copies of address and age proof
- Application fee of amount Rs. 200
- Form 1A i.e. a medical certificate for a Sarathi above 40 years needs to be submitted
- Certificate of driving refreshing training for transport vehicles
- A refresher training course of a short period for every commercial vehicle
- How to check driving licence number?
A Sarathi can check the driving licence number by logging into the website of respective state’s Motor Vehicles Department. He has to provide
- ID number.
How to apply for duplicate driving licence in Delhi?
If the licence is stolen, mutilated or lost, you can very easily make an application for the duplicate driving licence in Delhi through providing the documents
- Application form LLD
- FIR for lost driving licence
- Challan clearance report often issued by the Traffic Police of Delhi
- Form 1
- for transport vehicles
- Self-attested copy of the valid driving licence
- A fee of Rs. 400
How to check the status of driving licence in Delhi?
The website of the Transport Department of Govt. of India will help the Sarathi know the status of his driving licence.
- Go to parivahan.gov.in
- Choose Apply online
- Check Application status